Let’s talk breakfast…
Not just any breakfast, but a breakfast worthy of dessert! Today we are making banana nut waffles with toasted walnuts and a drizzle of homemade caramel!
First, combine your chopped walnuts with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Spread them evenly onto a sheet pan and toast them in a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes. As soon as you start to smell that toasted goodness they are done!
While the walnuts are toasting go ahead and preheat your waffle iron and give it a good mist of baking spray.
Now I know your hearing “homemade caramel” and your thinking I must be crazy if I expect you to pull out your candy thermometer this early in the morning. Worry not! This is an easy caramel sauce, no thermometer, and it comes together in under 10 minutes!
In a small saucepan combine 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 of heavy cream, and a half a stick of butter. Whisk this mixture over medium-low heat until everything has melted/dissolved. Let it cook for 5-7 minutes until it begins to thicken, then you’re done!
In a small bowl whisk 2 cups of flour, a pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon of baking powder, set it aside while we get our wet ingredients mixed up.
Take your two ripe bananas and mash them into a paste, then mix them together with your vanilla, butter, milk, sugar, and eggs using your hand mixer. I use the hand mixer so I know my eggs are incorporated into my batter.
Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients and mix with your mixer until just incorporated.
When I originally tested this recipe I tried putting the walnuts into the batter, but this just kept the waffle iron from closing; sprinkling them on top proved much more successful and nut lovers can add all the walnuts they want!
When your iron is heated, add 1/3 of a cup of waffle mix and close it up! As soon as the ready light pops on you are ready to eat!
Pile your waffles on a plate, liberally dust them with powdered sugar, sprinkle your toasted walnuts over the top and drizzle as much caramel as your heart desires!
…want to kick it up a notch? Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! I know…I’m a bad influence! But hey, dairy is a food group!
For Caramel Sauce:
1C brown sugar
1/2C heavy cream
For the Walnuts:
1/2 cup of walnuts, chopped
2 TBS butter, melted
For the Waffles:
1 TSP salt
1 TBS baking powder
2 bananas, mashed
2 TBS sugar
1 1/2C milk
1/3C butter, melted and cooled
1TSP vanilla paste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Mix your walnuts and melted butter together. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and toast for 5-10 minutes. Set aside for serving
- In a sauce pan over medium-low heat, mix 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of heavy cream, and 1/4 cup of butter until dissolved. Let cook 5-7 minutes until thickened. Set aside for serving.
- Whisk together all of your dry ingredients and set aside
- Using your hand mixer, combine your mashed bananas, sugar, eggs, milk, butter and vanilla paste.
- Add your dry ingredients, in 3 additions, to your wet ingredients, mixing well between each addition.
- Once your waffle iron is pre-heated, cook your waffle batter per your manufacturer’s instructions.
- Build your waffles by adding a dusting of powdered sugar, a sprinkling of walnuts, and a drizzle of caramel sauce.